dApp Affiliate Rewards (Discussion)

TLDR

Reducing the burn-rate of 20% to 5% and redirecting 15% towards Gas Monetisation for rewarding high-quality dApps, retaining talented creators and supporting network infrastructure.

Background

Social media platforms thrive through the success of their content creators, and the same can be said for a blockchain’s relationship with its dApps or builder base. Where web2 social media platforms optimize for ad revenue, high-quality dApps should optimize toward driving increased demand for block space.

The importance of giving back to content creators came to light recently with Twitter’s goal to beat Youtube’s ad revenue split with its leading channels.

Fantom’s Opera network is not directly competing against Youtube or Twitter, though it is competing to attract and retain high-grade talent continuously within the Web3 builders space in order to ensure a healthy and sustainable network.

This year, the network has been making strides in B2B support for its builders through increased foundation co-marketing, network upgrades (FVM rollout), access to funding (Gitcoin/Vault/VC Partners), events (London/Lisbon/NYC), and security (Watchdog).

The next phase of growth will implement the long-term monetisation tools necessary to create sticky network effects that attract builders and creators.

Affiliate Rewards

This proposal seeks to reduce the current burn rate from 20% to 5%, and redirect 15% of transaction fees to the creation of Affiliate Rewards.

How do we reward the high-quality creators on Fantom in a sustainable way using Affiliate Rewards?

We take what works in web2 and restructure it to fit the network’s priorities, which means taking the ad monetisation model and extending it to gas monetisation for performing dApps that manage to attract a steady stream of users.

This would be accomplished by splitting the gas fees paid to the network with the builder, at the proposed rate of 15%. Please note that this is subject to change and could increase/decrease in the future through a separate governance vote.

Requirements

Without standards or a comprehensive review process, gas monetization could incentivize spam, clunky dApps, and other gas extraction loopholes.

Therefore, a set of eligibility criteria will be reviewed and approved by the Fantom Foundation, akin to Youtube’s Minimum eligibility requirements for activating a channel’s monetization.

As noted in the current eligibility criteria forum, the requirements are as follows:

• Completed 1,000,000 or more transactions (Now reduced to 15,000**)
  • 3 months (Now 1.5 months) or above spent on the Fantom Opera network

Please note, changes are expected around the criteria as the foundation learns more about the effectiveness of certain requirements. These changes will be made at the discretion of the Affiliate Reward keyholders (i.e the Fantom Foundation) based on advice from the community.

The gas monetization a dApp receives can be utilised at the discretion of the dApp, including functions such as payroll, token buy backs, R&D, and more.

Additional FTM

This structure generates additional FTM tokens in the Affiliate program which is not immediately redistributed. This could be generated by a new dApp that is just launching, spam transactions utilising gas, or other transactions not associated with Affiliate rewards.

This FTM will be used for the following purposes:

• Increased bonuses for performing Affiliate dApps
  • Used for public good infrastructure subsidies (e.g. RPC providers)
  • Donated to Gitcoin matching grants
  • Donated to the Network Vault
  • Sent to the burn address
  • Rewards for successful content creators

Example

A project called X dApp launches on Fantom.

X dApp begins to get traction with an active community-base.

It passes the threshold of 1,000,000 transactions and stays for at least 3 months on the Fantom network. Then, X dApp completes the application for the Affiliate program, and the Foundation reviews and approves it.

X dApp is now eligible to claim up to 100% of the gas fees they contribute to the Affiliate Rewards (or 15% of the total spent gas on their dApp), with potential for bonuses (depending on the additional FTM amount).

Payments

Once the dApp is approved, funds from the Affiliate Rewards will be sent directly to the fee recipient via each transaction.

Cons

This initiative will slow the burn-rate of FTM by 75%.

Terms & Conditions

Affiliate Rewards is a prototype, the Fantom Foundation reserves the right to halt any payment stream indefinitely for any reason, including if fraudulent user activity is suspected or if the Foundation believes it is in the best interests of the Fantom ecosystem.

8 Likes

This seems like it would incentivise DExes, farms and other protocols that attract TVL, because for utilities and other public goods 1,000,000 transactions is a lot.

Imo a better use of the funds would be to fund Gitcoin grant rounds or something similar.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying!

TVL doesn’t = transactions. If value is locked in a dex, it doesn’t mean that people will use it. This proposal is to reward those who bring value to the chain. Similar to how youtube rewards its leading channels who bring viewers.

Gitcoin is focused on helping smaller projects grow! We also have the Vault for this.

Thresholds will change overtime, this is just a starting point.

1 Like

Makes sense. I agree with a more aggressive growth approach

2 Likes

Less burn rates , but help Fantom builders which will generate more fees. The loop is looped. I only see a bright future for Fantom builders

3 Likes

Our team is building WOOFi (fi.woo.org) on top of Fantom, as a builder, we appreciate this program it would benefit us when assessing the addition of new assets / feature to the dapp. if we were to get the affiliate rewards, we would likely be redistributing it to users to facilitate more app usage, such as using it to compensate the oracle cost so as to list more assets, and provide incentives to traders or earn vaults depositor, or stakers.

Very excited for this program!

3 Likes

I am looking forward to hearing more! I like this a lot! I have some notes, questions and a few concerns:

My primary concern is that it will make it harder for smaller dApps to compete as the larger ones will be fed resources and widen the resource gap. 1mil feels like a high target for anything except dexs and maybe lending protocols. But I see why something like it is necessary to prevent bad actors from gaming the system.

I have some questions, although I am not expecting you guys to have all the answers right away:

1. How will the number of dApp transactions be tracked for dApps that span many contracts?
  2. Will transactions be filtered based on contract-type or transaction-type or something else?
  3. Will token/NFT transfers count towards the dApp that is responsible for the token contract? Or if a transfer is through a DEX, would those only count towards the DEX dApp?
  4. Could a dApp upgrade a contract after they make it into the affiliate program to increase gas costs for their users and therefore increase their rewards?

Love this all. Let’s just be careful not to encourage gas inefficiencies, state-bloat, bad UX, growth of already-large projects at the cost of new ones, etc… I often find my self trying to minimize the number of transactions that a user has to submit for a given task to improve UX. We don’t want to discourage good design.

I encourage you guys to reach out to projects of all different types (large, small, defi, gamefi, etc) across the ecosystem about how they design their dApps and how this affiliate program might or might not impact them.

Thanks for the hard work as always Sam and team!

3 Likes

Hey Larkin! Great to see you here on the forums :slight_smile:

1: Each contract can nominate a fee recipient, not per project. Andre made a good point internally, “the blockchain won’t know which contracts belong or don’t belong to a project”.

2: All gas that is paid to the network *directly because of a contract (regardless of type), that contract will receive 15% of it.

3: It would go towards the DEX. General P2P transfers wont be eligible.

4: Yes, but for now Foundation has the ability to stop a contract from getting gas rewards, and we are very clear that manipulating contracts for gas extraction methods isn’t approved. (Our end goal is to not have the foundation involved, but for now this should serve as a preventative tool.)

We have multiple avenues now for projects at different stages, like Gitcoin rounds for early-stage teams, the vault aimed for mid-sized and the affiliate rewards for teams who are bringing success to the chain.

Totally agree with your sentiment, it’s why the foundation has more control that it would like to in this initial stage to ensure we do it right. Expect changes around eligibility criteria as we test and improve the process :).

3 Likes

This is why i love #Fantom and it’s community :smile:

2 Likes