Andre Cronje - infinite AMA

The article was released on the 1st of April, a date when in western countries jokes are made.

3 Likes

Hi Andre ,
Was a pleasure to meet you in Abu Dhabi and glad to see you are active again. As a CM I think I speak on behalf of the community and thank you for all you do. Keep the Memes coming

2 Likes

I read all the messages and your answers. I feel this forum is really the best, no BS, all genuine questions and your thorough answers, really appreciated. I am also very deep in $FTM and its ecosystem.

My question:

Fantom is known and perceived as a defi protocol, do you feel it has other major use cases? If so, what area or how you think it will be integrated?

Context for my above question:
I recent watched Mark Jeffrey’s interview with DRIEF (ride sharing company) on youtube , and one comment really stood out for me from the CEO. The CEO said crypto needs to be integrated into daily life to make it mass adoption. I feel defi is not fairly niche when I talked to people who have exposure in crypto, so it’s very far from mass adoption (even among crypto investors).

Many thanks in advance for your answers.

2 Likes

Got another question for you Andre!

Tech-wise, which blockchain would you say is the competitor to Fantom?

What’s your opinion on these new emerging blockchain like Aptos and Sui?

Were you impressed about the new Avalanche Warp Messaging (AWP) tech that they just recently released?

2 Likes

Hi Andre… appreciate you taking the time to answer all the questions. Are there any use cases you have thought of for web 3 that haven’t been developed yet? Beyond NFTs, games, defi…is there anything you think will sprout up that hasn’t yet?

Thanks and best wishes to you! There are way more people who support you than the naysayers who wanna bring everyone down. Stay well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello Andre,

I’ve been meaning to ask about some of your lesser known projects in the past, Deriswap and Iron Bank.

1. I think some of the ideas from the Deriswap blog post were fascinating, especially the options side and the use of smiles. Its especially interesting with what we know now, that many AMM payoffs are very options like, so I would say that your early work here was somewhat ahead of its time. Can you comment on your thoughts on the ideas from Deriswap, and if you think any of those still has legs? Bonus if you still have the code available for these, would be fun to study.

2. I know that Iron Bank is still active now. But what I find interesting was that this was the first instance of protocol-to-protocol financing. I still feel this space has been unexplored, and I wish there was more work in this area. What do you think about this, its future and where you think people should be focusing on?

2 Likes

I think, being an “outsider looking in”, gives me a somewhat unique perspective on what’s working and what isn’t working, so I can help make those small course corrections. Ultimately, Kong, Quan and team drive the vision and mission and do so in isolation away from me, I just help prioritize and streamline. So I guess the most apt real world analog is probably a management consultant, but I definitely don’t consider myself as such. Most of what I do is just think “what would I need as a builder to maximize the value I can get out of Fantom” and then push towards that. But I don’t tend to see myself as “within the leadership and governance structure”, more of an unsolicited external voice.

4 Likes

Depends on the measure of “change the world”, practically speaking, it already has changed the world, by virtue of media and the masses talking about NFT’s and crypto, means the impact was already made. I find it interesting when people talk about “adoption” when crypto and NFT is already almost everywhere in the collective consciousness. Is it here to stay? Only as long as it takes for a better technology to surpass is, but for now, yes.

2 Likes

Fantom is the equivalent of “internet”, it doesn’t have any barriers to what you can build ontop of it, nor should it, it also doesn’t show bias towards any vertical. I hope we can move away from being associated as a defi protocol (a label I strongly disagree with) and be seen as a general execution layer. As we continue improving throughput (aka reduce gas costs and accessibility) so too will the possible verticals expand. As previously stated, the first verticals are just normally financially driven (just like early internet), only after technology becomes faster / more accessible does that change to general use.

5 Likes

Definitely Avalanche, they are the only other chain I consider on par in terms of tech. I don’t follow Aptos or Sui closely enough to comment on them unfortunately. I think the Warp Messaging Protocol is a definitive step in the right direction, I believe / felt the same towards Cosmos IBC, a universal (protocol) agreed communication layer is definitely required, same reason we have IBC integration (and I will add AWP integration as well) to our roadmap.

5 Likes

Lots; the next kinda “obvious” vertical is insurtech, having worked in that industry the overheads and margins and insane, its an easy new one to adapt, but it requires more stable coin growth (differentiation, not consolidation). NFT’s also hasn’t seen their true potential yet, only when we actually have real games / metaverses where it can be used as a communication protocol between different meta verses does it achieve its potential. Social media also seems like a somewhat low hanging fruit. But to me, its all verticals, nothing that exist on the web today can’t exist in crypto, the big change for me is that the business model gets flip and the rent-extraction gets removed, advertising paying you directly for your views or data, vs existing models is the big differentiator.

5 Likes

Very thoughtful.

I’m not doing great, but I’m not doing bad, so all good on that front. Sadly (or happily depending on perspective), my hobby, passion, and work are all the same thing, very little else gives me joy, so I just focus on that. My diet has gotten much better, thank you for asking, last year was rough, not so much the diet actually, but all the alcohol from trying to cope, haven’t had a drink since November, so feeling great, and it has indirectly helped my diet a lot. Movies and music, not so much, I did recently start trying to make time for Anime again, started catching up on some old series I liked, and started reading again, which has been refreshing. And what can the community do to make my / our life easier, don’t be the silent majority, if you see someone saying something wrong, help correct them (in a polite way), if you see the foundation doing something you don’t agree with, suggest an alternative (focus on the positive, not the negative), and sometimes, its really just nice to hear we have support, we normally only receive support after something bad happened, then it generally feels like too little to late, proactive support goes an incredibly long way to push through hard times.

12 Likes
  1. Definitely still has legs, quite a few primitives I never finished, mostly because I lost passion to push through all the hate, I’ll share some here;

Metawallet MetaWallet.sol · GitHub
Options OptionsV1Manager.sol · GitHub
Hegic Options HegicOptions.sol · GitHub
Deriswap DeriswapV1Pair.sol · GitHub
Leveraged spot perps levX.sol · GitHub
Generic insurance primitive ProtectionMarket.sol · GitHub
Options liquidity mining OptionsLM.sol · GitHub
Option pricing on-chain (scholes etc) https://docs.uniquote.finance/#volatility
Doing options math on-chain was murder https://etherscan.io/address/0xCCdfCB72753CfD55C5afF5d98eA5f9C43be9659d#code

1. I strongly think IB could have become a dominating force, sadly it wasn’t the right team and they had all the legacy issues with Cream, so that was difficult to shake, but the concept and protocol have a lot of opportunities that haven’t been explored yet. I hope a similar concept gets the right jockey’s in the future. It will be a powerful thing to see. Still quite a few primitives left to integrate there that I never launched; flash swaps, flash debt, leveraged spot trades, OI funding. So much you can do with a lender.
6 Likes

For someone who does not understand anything about DEFI and wants to learn, could you recommend any guide or reliable source of information such as books, courses, etc?

To finish, I just wanted to tell you something, the answer you gave about that you would choose peace of mind over anything else has caught my attention and if you have to leave the ecosystem again, you will. From the perspective of someone who is in a remote part of the world, in a country with social problems and with a not so clear vision of the future of humanity, I want you to know that you can be someone special in the HISTORY OF HUMANITY, because the blockchain is an option that gives you equality in a totally unequal reality (those who do not live it will not understand it) and this is something that your children’s children will take with them, with this, I just want to say that very few minds have the capacity , talent, obsession, discipline, genius etc to be able to influence so many people in the world and this can compensate to some extent for your peace of mind.

3 Likes

Hi Andre,

Thanks for answering my question. I have some follow-up.

Internet has a common protocol TCP/IP and common address protocol HTTP.

Right now various blockchain are on its own protocol, very silo based. In order for Fantom to be like " internet", does it mean Fantom needs to be inter-changeable and inter-connect to other blockchains (behind the scene). Therefore, Fantom users can do any execution on the Fantom front-end, but behind the scene there are other layers for interoperability with other blockchain?

It seems dAPPs need to choose which chain to deploy from day one, so they are all effectively silo-based and hard to be come like “internet applications/website”?

Many thanks again for your thought, particularly how Fantom (or blockchain in general) can overcome interoperability issue.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with any current courses or reliable sources of information, sadly, not an area I keep track of, but I’ll ask the team for some recommendations.

2 Likes

Yes, and no. First the no: Fantom throughput (after we remove the EVM bottleneck) means it could be the backbone for decentralized web, realistically however, other blockchains will exist. And thus the yes: we are focused on integrating interoperability protocols, it is the same reason we work very closely with the Multichain team to deliver new solutions, one of which is their new zk bridge, which I believe is a massive step towards trustless interoperability. As with any technology though, this is a slow process and will likely take years to reach the point we are talking about. Narrative moves a lot faster than technology :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Wow, that’s a big deal working with multichain ( i do use it mainly for moving stable coins across chains) for the seamless transactions. After your explanation, I started to see what you are talking about making Fantom being like internet, and how FVM being an enabler for the infrastructure to support it.

Geez, being an average joe, I just didn’t grasp the grand plan for Fantom. We are so so so early, but the motion is set.

Thanks again Andre for sharing your insight, it certainly helped me to piece the puzzle together a little better.

3 Likes

Hi previously, I took out a loan in fUSD. I was however still able to claim my staking rewards. on a regular basis. Now however when I try and claim rewards I get the following message in red ‘execution reverted: outstanding sFTM balance (preceded by a red exclamation mark’ What’s changed? Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi Andre, I have never really spoken to the Fantom team but have been closely following the protocol since mid’19. You have a unique mind. I suspect, like me, a lot of folks are quiet followers. I just wanted to say that, sure, you are appreciated for everything you have done to the protocol. Foremost, though I just wanted to say you are valued as a person. Following you guys for this long, it was crappy to see you being in a bad place last year. It was great though to see Michael K. more on the forefront, and I am very happy to read you are doing better. Please continue to look after yourself and never give up on your mental health and pursuing balance. You made the right choice stepping back last year. bly sterk

Unrelated question, top 5 anime?

6 Likes